Are you ready to move full-time or part-time into a smaller home? Take this quick quiz, below, with 21 questions about your attitude and living situation. Assess your readiness for the leap.
Downsized House Joy Quiz
Please jot down which statements are TRUE for you.
- You are living in an apartment.
- You travel without much luggage.
- You like to have private space.
- You rent a house, and live there alone or with family.
- You own a home, and live there alone or with family.
- You feel house rich and cash poor.
- When you could afford it, you moved to a bigger apartment.
- When you qualified for a mortgage, you bought a house.
- You love buying new things for your home.
- You like the idea of a home with an extra bedroom, office and dining room.
- You can’t imagine life without a separate office or library.
- You have two kids living at home.
- You and your significant other share a large closet.
- Your love a galley-type kitchen.
- Trading up from a starter to larger house was a great experience.
- Your must live with a piano!
- You worry how your boss and colleagues think about your home.
- You worry how your friends think about your home.
- Moving across the country sounds exciting.
- You never want to move from your current home.
- You love being independent.
Score your TRUE answers, and learn where you land on the readiness scale.
First add 2 points for each “true” answer to q1, q2, q6, q13, q14, q19, q21. Then subtract 1 point for each “true” answer to q3, q4 , q5, q7, q8, q9, q10, q11, q12, q15, q16, q17, q18, q 20.
- Nine and Over: A tiny house under 400 square feet might fit well.
- Five to Eight: Ready to move into a home under 1,200 square feet.
- Zero to Four: Try out a small cottage or tiny house on vacation first.
- Under Zero: Think about part-time living, as a second unit.